I don’t know if you have noticed yet but smoothies are my favourite thing probably ever on this planet. Sometimes creating a nutritious smoothie that tastes good can be very difficult to do. Finding what fruits pair together with what base and greens and then on top of that what add ins to choose like protein powder, hemp, flax or chia can end up in a brown goopy mess. Do not worry! Here I have broken down all the steps to create the perfect, nutritious and delicious smoothie…
Before we even begin to make a smoothie there is one VERY important thing we need. A blender. Without that all you have is a bunch of fruits and some liquid. My blender is a Breville and does the job of perfectly blending every smoothie I make into a liquified dream. You do not need the queen of blenders to make your smoothie perfect however, a high power and speed blender is prefered so you don’t end up with nasty chunks in your smoothie.
STEP 1: Fruits and/or Vegetables
(Choose at least 2, no more than 3 because then things can get a little messy tasting)
Banana*, Avocado*, Apple, Raspberries, Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Cherries, Mangoes, Pear, Papaya
Beets, Carrots, Cucumber, Celery
– Freezing your fruits before hand makes your smoothie thicker and frothier
* I do suggest adding a banana or avocado as a base fruit for all smoothies because they give it a nice texture. So when choosing your fruits don’t include the banana or avocado in the two or three you choose.
STEP 2: Greens
(Do not be afraid of adding greens!!! The flavor can be masked by the add ins and fruits)
Kale, Spinach, Chard, Romaine
– Spinach and Romaine are among the more milder tasting greens so if you are just starting off with green smoothies ease yourself in with those.
STEP 3: Power ups
(Protein powder, nuts, seeds, oats, granola are all great add ins to turn your smoothie into a full and filling drinkable meal)
– I suggest choosing plant based protein powders because along with the protein you also get the benefits of the plants nutrients.
– Vega One Protein and Sunwarrior Warrior Blend are some of my favorites
Almonds, Cashews, Walnuts, Pecans, Pistachios, Hemp Hearts, Chia, Flax Powder, Pumpkin seeds, Sunflower seeds
– Soaking the nuts and seeds overnight before adding them in enhances their nutrients and makes them blend in better
STEP 4: Flavoring and Superfood Powders
Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Maca, Turmeric, Lacuma, Acai Berry Powder, Camu Camu Berry Powder, Spirulina, Chlorella, Wheatgrass Powder, Cacao Powder, Carob Powder, Matcha
– A teaspoon of each powder will be sufficient however with things like the Spirulina and Wheatgrass powder a tablespoon will provide sufficient nutrients.
STEP 5: Liquid
Almond Milk, Coconut Milk, Hemp Milk, Rice Milk, Regular Milk, Water, Cold-pressed Juice
– use 1.5-2 cups of liquid depending on how much fruit you used or how much smoothie you want to make.
Blend any combination of the following steps and enjoy your fabulous creation!
Save this condensed version on your phone so you can have it easily accessible to you when needed!
I would love to hear from you…
Once you have created your smoothie, send me a picture of it and your recipe by tagging me on instagram (@aemassey4), on twitter (@_FoodGlow) or over e-mail (email@example.com).